Mattawa in Nipissing District, Ontario — Central Canada
Mattawa House 1837
Trading in furs at this junction of historic canoe routes probably began during the French regime. At intervals during the 1820's and 1830's Chief Trader John Siveright, commanding the Hudson's Bay Company's post at Fort Coulonge, sent men to trade at Mattawa. In 1837, primarily to counteract trading by lumbermen, the company established a permanent post there. Its original site was chosen by the company's governor, George Simpson, but before 1843 it was moved to this point. In later years, faced with diminishing fur trade, the post supplied its former rivals the lumbermen and turned to general trade in the community which grew around it. Mattawa House was closed in 1908.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 46° 19.166′ N, 78° 42.563′ W. Marker is in Mattawa, Ontario, in Nipissing District. Marker is at the intersection of First Street (County Highway 533) and Brydges Street, on the right when traveling west on First Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Mattawa Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 285 First Street, Mattawa, Ontario P0H 1V0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. French-Canadian Settlement and the CPR in the Mattawa area Canoe Route to the West (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Mattawa Route (approx. 0.3 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Mattawa Museum. (Submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.