Bruce Mines in Algoma District, Ontario — Central Canada
The Bruce Mines
The original claim to the Bruce Mine location was filed in September, 1846 by James Cuthbertson. It was acquired the following year by the Montreal Mining Company, and production commenced in 1847-48 at what became the first commercially successful copper mine in Canada. Employing skilled Cornish workers, the company operated the mine until 1865 when it was purchased by the West Canada Mining Company. That firm had leased part of the property in 1853 and opened the nearby Wellington and Copper Bay Mines. Though the Bruce Mines were among the more productive on the continent, declining profits forced them to close in 1876, and subsequent attempts to resume operations met with limited success.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 46° 18.035′ N, 83° 47.278′ W. Marker is in Bruce Mines, Ontario, in Algoma District. Marker is at the intersection of Trans-Canada Highway (Provincial Highway 17) and Taylor Street, on the right when traveling east on Trans-Canada Highway. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Bruce Mines Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9227 Highway 17, Bruce Mines, Ontario P0R 1C0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker "Ripple Rock" (approx. 13.5 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Bruce Mines Museum. (Submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.