Joinerville in Rusk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Gaston Public School Complex
The district added a wooden gymnasium and brick auditorium in 1936, home economics cottage in 1938, brick cafeteria in 1939 and shop building in 1940. Linked by arcades, the structures exhibit classically articulated features and sophisticated cast-stone and window details. The rustic style landscaping, which includes walls made of native stone from the nearby Hardy farm, was completed by the Works Progress Administration in 1936-1940.
Students at this institution earned county, district and regional championships in football, basketball, and track, as well as awards in journalism, band, debate and other literary areas, including a Rhodes Scholarship, during the 1940s and 1950s. Gaston schools merged with the London school system in 1965 to form the West Rusk County Independent School District.
Location. 32° 10.649′ N, 94° 53.537′ W. Marker is in Joinerville, Texas, in Rusk County. Marker is on U.S. 64 0.2 miles west of County Road 481, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6400 TX-64, Henderson TX 75652, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Joiner No. 3 Daisy Bradford (approx. 1.8 miles away); John Franklin Overton (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.