Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Tyler Public Library

Since 1899

 

—Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History —

 
Tyler Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
1. Tyler Public Library Marker
Inscription. The library has served to expand the horizons and dreams of Tyler's citizens while connecting them to the cultural and historic heritage of mankind.
 
Erected by Main Street Tyler Texas.
 
Location. 32° 21.105′ N, 95° 18.093′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Ferguson Street and North College Avenue. Touch for map. Part of the Tyler Half Mile of History Heritage Trail. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 West Ferguson Street, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hampson Boren Gary (here, next to this marker); Brady P. Gentry (a few steps from this marker); Thomas R. Bonner (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Tyler (within shouting distance of this marker); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (about 300 feet away); Tyler Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away); Tyler Commercial College (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Regarding Tyler Public Library. Founded in 1899 as a subscription library by the Tyler Federation Of Women’s Clubs and located above the old Tyler Electric Company offices on the north side of Tyler’s downtown courthouse square, the Tyler Public Library soon moved to the then City Hall and subsequently became a city department in 1903. The next year it moved
View of marker looking east on Ferguson Street in downtown Tyler. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
2. View of marker looking east on Ferguson Street in downtown Tyler.
nearby into its own building donated by Andrew Carnegie, at 102 North College Avenue, which was to be its home until 1980 when the present three-story building opened at 201 South College Avenue, across Elm Street to the south.
 
Also see . . .  Short history of the Tyler Public Library. (Submitted on July 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of current public library at 201 South College Avenue. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement