Sault Ste. Marie in Algoma District, Ontario — Central Canada
Shingwauk Hall was erected in 1935 to house a residential training school established in 1873 by the Reverend Edward F. Wilson. Under this Anglican missionary's tutelage the institution, named after the well-known Ojibway Chief Augustin Shingwauk (Little Pine), provided Indian children with religious instruction, occupational training and homemaking skills. The first frame structure, located at the nearby Garden River Reserve, was destroyed by fire within six days of its completion, and the foundation stone for a new three-storey stone building was laid here in 1874 by the Earl of Dufferin, the Governor-General of Canada. Other buildings were added, but of these the Bishop Fauquier Chapel, completed in 1883, is the sole remaining structure.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 46° 29.993′ N, 84° 17.254′ W. Marker is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in Algoma District. Marker is on Queen Street East 0.2 kilometers west of Riverside Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1520 Queen Street East, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 2G4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. John Prince (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Ermatinger House Precious Blood Cathedral (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Nicolas Perrot (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Dr. Roberta Bondar (approx. 3.8 kilometers away); Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes (approx. 3.8 kilometers away); Anna Jameson (approx. 4.1 kilometers away); The North West Company Post (approx. 4.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sault Ste. Marie.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.