Sault Ste. Marie in Algoma District, Ontario — Central Canada
La Maison Ermatinger
This house, built between 1814 and 1823 by Charles Ermatinger of the North West Company, is the oldest surviving house in northwestern Ontario. Constructed when Sault Ste. Marie was still a small fur trading post on the Upper Lakes, this fine house soon became the centre of the district's business and social life, and was noted by such visitors as Lord Selkirk, Anna Jameson, Sir John Richardson, Paul Kane and George Catlin.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 46° 30.349′ N, 84° 19.499′ W. Marker is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, in Algoma District. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Bay Street and Pim Street. Touch for map. Marker is located to the right of the entrance of the visitor's centre. It is just inside
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Precious Blood Cathedral (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Nicolas Perrot (approx. half a kilometer away); Dr. Roberta Bondar (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Passenger and Packet Freighters on the Upper Great Lakes (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Anna Jameson (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); The North West Company Post (approx. 1.9 kilometers away); Francis Hector Clergue (approx. 2 kilometers away); Col. John Prince (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sault Ste. Marie.
More about this marker. The Ermatinger-Clergue National Historic Site is situated close to neighbouring attractions including the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre.
Also see . . . City of Sault Ste. Marie - Ermatinger-Clergue National Historic Site. (Submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.