Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenwood in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Greenwood School House

 
 
The Greenwood School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Stinson
1. The Greenwood School House Marker
Inscription. The first school house in Greenwood was located yards from this location. It burned down in 1855. In 1858 the Greenwood School District was established and this one room school house was built by the community. It remained open from 1859 to 1954. This building has also served the Greenwood community as a meeting hall, a polling site, an emergency shelter and the old school bell was used to alert inhabitants in the area to natural disasters. The school was closed in 1954 and all the students from Greenwood were transferred to Cool. After the school closed, the bell was incorporated into the California State Historic Landmark for the town of Greenwood. The property was purchased by the community in 1957. It remains open as a public meeting place and park. The preservation efforts of the Greenwood Civic Organization, The Georgetown Divide Recreation District and the Native Sons of the Golden West, has preserved this piece of California's history so that in may continue to benefit the community.
 
Erected 2016 by Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number GPY 139-11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.847′ N, 120° 
The Greenwood School House image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Stinson
2. The Greenwood School House
The monument with the marker is by the front of the building, on the right, and is obscured by the tree.
54.757′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, California, in El Dorado County. Marker can be reached from Greenwood Road 0.2 miles south of Georgetown Road (California Route 193). Touch for map. The marker is at the front right of the building, up a long driveway, on the left, as you travel south on Greenwood Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4065 Greenwood Road, Greenwood CA 95635, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenwood (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James Catholic Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Shannon Knox House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall (approx. 4 miles away); Civil War Armory (approx. 4 miles away); Wells Fargo Building (approx. 4 miles away); Georgetown Hotel (approx. 4 miles away); Georgetown Firehouse (approx. 4 miles away).
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
The Greenwood School House (Rear) image. Click for full size.
By James King
3. The Greenwood School House (Rear)
Native Sons Dedication Team image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Stinson
4. Native Sons Dedication Team
The Greenwood School House Marker Dedication Ceremony image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Stinson
5. The Greenwood School House Marker Dedication Ceremony
The Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 25, 2005
6. The Schoolhouse
An earlier photo taken prior to renovation.
The sign above the door says Greenwood School House Founded 1886
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2017, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 23, 2017, by James King of San Miguel, California.   6. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement