Croom in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Columbia Air Center
When the U.S. Navy took over the airport's operations, during World War II, it added seven turf runaways and a 121-foot pier on the Patuxent River. With its return ot civilian use, and a new name Columbia Air Center was reorganized to reflect a new vision for the site as both an airport and recreational center for the African American community with frequent picnics, hangar dances motorcycle racing, canoeing and flying. The Columbia Air Center operated only during daylight hours and offered a flying school, charter services, aircraft maintenance, fuel and tie down space for private pilots. It used a large fleet of aircraft, and became a dealer for Aeronca Aircraft and Continental Engines.
Greene managed the airfield until 1954. Columbia Air Center closed in 1956 when the landowner's heirs decided to sell
The End of an Era at Columbia Air Center
Upon the retirement if John Greene, Shirley King served as an interim manager, followed by partners Charles E. Wren and Herbert H. Jones. They operated the field as the “W and J Flying Service”.
Herbert Jones had served as an Army Air Corps aviation cadet at the Tuskegee Army Airfield during World War II. After the war he returned on the G.I. Bill to earn his flight instructors rating. After leaving the Columbia Air Center, Mr. Jones worked as a corporate pilot and operated flying schools at both Hyde Field and Potomac Airpark in Clinton, Maryland
Charles Wren continued to manage the airfield as the “Capital Flying Club" with partners William L. Taylor and Albert L. Young. Wren and Taylor, along with Charles H. Dabney, also formed “The Sportsmen”, which organized many of the recreational events at the airport unit it closed its doors forever in 1956.
Location. 38° 45.209′ N, 76° 42.569′ W. Marker is in Croom, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Croom Airport Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Aviation History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Man and the River (approx. 0.4 miles away); Woodland Indian Villages on the Patuxent River (approx. half a mile away); The Sears House (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Blacksmith Shop (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Duckett Cabin (approx. 1.3 miles away); Blown to Atoms (approx. 1.4 miles away); Shaded Reprieve (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Croom.
More about this marker. At Patuxent River Park.
Categories. • African Americans • Air & Space •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.