Mendocino in Mendocino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mendocino Presbyterian Church
Erected 1959 by California State Park Commission, in cooperation with the Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 714.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 39° 18.392′ N, 123° 47.83′ W. Marker is in Mendocino, California, in Mendocino County. Marker is on Ukiah Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 955 Ukiah Street, Mendocino CA 95460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mendocino Masonic Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Kwan Tai (approx. ¼ mile away); History Pivots on a Rock (approx. 3½ miles away); The Parrish Family Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Whirring Saws Silenced: A Pictorial History of the Mill Site (approx. 9½ miles Fort Bragg (approx. 9.6 miles away); Charles Russell Johnson (approx. 9.6 miles away); Fort Building (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendocino.
Regarding Mendocino Presbyterian Church. This site is a California Registered Landmark (No. 714).
Mendocino Presbyterian Church, was built of local redwood for a cost of $10,000. It was dedicated on July 5, 1868, with a sermon preached by the Reverend Dr. Laurentine Hamilton, pastor of the "First Presbyterian Church of Oakland". Architects S.C. Bugbee & Son of San Francisco designed the English Gothic edifice, that faced the ocean on the old Coast Road coming up from the river flats, called Pacific Street at one time.
The manse was built in 1909, extensively modernized and restored in 1966, and later in 1987 so that it is a repository of many choice momentos of early Mendocino, attractively renewed in authentic manner. It is not now used as a manse but serves as administrative offices, additional classrooms and meeting rooms.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,713 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4. submitted on October 2, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.