Union City Junction
A charter was received to build tracks from Nashville to Mississippi River. General Gibbs had the charter amended so the line would end on his property. On February 22, 1854, Gibbs established a town and intended to name it Junction City because it stood where two railroads met. Another town had already claimed the name, so Gibbs named his town Union City.
Location. 36° 26.23′ N, 89° 4.16′ W. Marker is in Union City, Tennessee, in Obion County. Marker is on Graham Drive. Touch for map. Marker is near the Railroad Depot in Discovery Park of America. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210-260 Graham Dr, Union City TN 38261, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Depot (a few steps from this marker); The Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Hobbs Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Ronald Reagan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prometheus (about 300 feet away);
Also see . . . General George Washington Gibbs. George Washington Gibbs was born October 3, 1785 to Nicholas and Mary Gibbs. The family moved to East Tennessee from North Carolina in 1791. He was admitted to the bar in at Knoxville in 1806 and married Lee Ann Dibrell April 12, 1810. They moved to Nashville by way of Elizabethton, KY and Sparta, TN, where he practiced law and was president of a local bank. In 1837, they moved to a 5,000 acre tract in Obion County in what is now known as Union City. He died May 3, 1871. (Submitted on July 24, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.