Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayette in Jefferson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

William Carey University

 
 
William Carey University Marker image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
1. William Carey University Marker
Inscription.
In 1906, William Carey University began in Hattiesburg as South Mississippi College. Noted educator W.I. Thames served as president. A devastating fire destroyed the college in 1910. W.S.F. Tatum, a Hattiesburg business leader, acquired the property upon which the campus now resides and gave it to the Mississippi Baptist Convention.

In 1911, the school became Mississippi Woman's College, and W.W. Rivers served as president. Subsequent presidents were John L. Johnson, Jr. (1912-1932) and William E. Holcomb (1932-1940).

The college had to close in 1940 due to financial hardships, but reopened in 1946 under the leadership of President Irving E. Rouse (1946-1956). In 1953, co-educational status was granted to the college by the Mississippi Baptist Convention.

In 1954, the school was named William Carey College in honor of the 18th century English cobbler-linguist. William Carey (1761-1834) earned international recognition as "Father of Modern Missions" for his decades of missionary work in India.

In 1956, J. Ralph Noonkester became president, and he led Carey until 1989. Other presidents were James W. Edwards (1989-1997) and Larry W. Kennedy (1998-2006). In 2007, R. Thomas King, a Carey alumnus, became Carey's ninth president. In the school's centennial year, the name was changed to William Carey University.

The university has

Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display. image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
2. Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
campuses in Hattiesburg, New Orleans and Gulfport. Taken from one of William Carey's sermons, the university's motto is "Expect great things from God; attempt great things from God."
 
Erected by Mississippi Baptist Historical Commission.
 
Location. 31° 39.415′ N, 91° 8.15′ W. Marker is in Fayette, Mississippi, in Jefferson County. Marker is on U.S. 61 one mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayette MS 39069, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blue Mountain College (here, next to this marker); The Baptist Children's Village (here, next to this marker); Mississippi- Fertile Ground for Leadership Development (a few steps from this marker); Mississippi College (a few steps from this marker); Conference Ministries (a few steps from this marker); Ebenezer Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Woodville Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Mississippi Baptist Health Systems, Inc. (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayette.
 
More about this marker. Located in the Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display. image. Click for full size.
July 7, 2017
3. Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
As seen from U.S. Highway 61
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2017.
Paid Advertisement