Abbeville in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Bancker was once a thriving community consisting of four large plantations. This area was originally settled by Acadians, as well as families of Spanish, German and Danish descent. William Cade donated property along the Vermilion River for the first Roman Catholic church in this area in 1895. Our Lady of Prompt Succor was established in 1897. The oldest marked grave in the Bancker Cemetery is dated 1897.
Erected 1997 by St. John's Choir.
Location. 29° 53.082′ N, 92° 7.46′ W. Marker is in Abbeville, Louisiana, in Vermilion Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Live Oak Road and State Road 690, on the right when traveling south on Live Oak Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abbeville LA 70510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church (a few steps from this marker); Bancker Ferry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bancker Plantations (about 400 feet away); Est. 1885 St. Mary Congregational Church (approx. 6 miles away); The Old Masonic Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles Louisiana Story (approx. 6.2 miles away); Pére Antoine Desiré Mégret (approx. 6.2 miles away); Abbeville (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbeville.
More about this marker. The Bancker site has a Catholic Grotto, a nature walk, cemetery. Also a "you are here" map and a small self walking tour. Free open all year long.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 164 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 29, 2017.