Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
World War II Glider Pilots
Pilots who received advance training
and silver “G” wings at South Plains
Army Air Field, Lubbock Texas during
the period of 13 July 1942
through 15 January 1945.
These volunteers flew fragile, unarmed
gliders on eight major airborne invasions
of Europe and Southeast Asia. Many paid
the supreme sacrifice for their country.
Presented to the City of Lubbock
The National WW II Glider Pilots Association
“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers”
19 April 1997
Waco, 15-man, glider (CG-4A)
Erected 1997 by The National WW II Glider Pilots Association.
Location. 33° 39.47′ N, 101° 49.913′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is on North Cedar Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6202 North Interstate 27, Lubbock TX 79403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W. G. McMillan Construction Company (a few steps from this marker); South Plains Army Air Field (a few steps from this Original Lubbock Municipal Airport (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Lubbock (approx. 1.8 miles away); Austin Brothers Bridge (approx. 3.9 miles away); Landwer/Manicapelli Home (approx. 4 miles away); Prairie Dog Town (approx. 4.1 miles away); Migrant Labor Camps of Lubbock County (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.