Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Lubbock Municipal Airport
The airport primarily served local aviation needs but was periodically utilized by the military, with rare commercial flights. Grass landing strips were used until the mid-1930s. In 1938, a federal grant from the works progress administration (WPA) led to the construction of concrete runways adjacent to the hangar. In the late 1930s or early 1940s, a second hangar made of sheet metal was added to the complex. In 1941, as the U.S. prepared to enter World War II, the city offered the Army the use of the municipal airport.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17972.)
Location. 33° 39.362′ N, 101° 50.079′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is on North Cedar Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. North Cedar Avenue is accessed from Interstate 27 exit 9. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6004 North Cedar Avenue., Lubbock TX 79403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. South Plains Army Air Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); W. G. McMillan Construction Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War II Glider Pilots (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Lubbock (approx. 1.7 miles away); Austin Brothers Bridge (approx. 3.7 miles away); Landwer/Manicapelli Home Prairie Dog Town (approx. 4 miles away); Migrant Labor Camps of Lubbock County (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Categories. • Air & Space • Industry & Commerce • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.