Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grosse Pointe Farms in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Paul Catholic Church / Saint Paul Rectory and Parish House

 
 
Saint Paul Catholic Church Marker - Side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 15, 2017
1. Saint Paul Catholic Church Marker - Side 1
Inscription.
Saint Paul Catholic Church
By the 1790s, French priests were ministering to farmers living along Lake St. Clair. In 1825 Father Francis Badin dedicated a log church to Saint Paul near the lake in present-day Grosse Pointe Shores. In 1850 a frame chapel was erected on the current site. Built in the 1890s, during Father John Elsen's pastorate, the present French Gothic-inspired church was designed by Detroit architect Harry J. Rill. The first mass held in the church was Father Elsen's funeral in 1899.

Saint Paul Rectory and Parish House
Saint Paul Rectory, which reflects Neo-Tudor and Arts and Crafts design elements, was built in 1911. The Parish House was built around 1900 as the home of former (1876-77) Detroit Mayor Alexander Lewis. Stove manufacturer Edwin S. Barbour acquired the house in 1913. In 1925, according to plans by Detroit architect Robert O. Derrick, he renovated the house divesting it of its Neo-classical elements. Barbour's heir sold the estate to Saint Paul Parish in 1959.
 
Erected 1993 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1876.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location.
Saint Paul Rectory and Parish House Marker - Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 15, 2017
2. Saint Paul Rectory and Parish House Marker - Side 2
42° 23.65′ N, 82° 53.47′ W. Marker is in Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Lake Shore Road 0.1 miles south of Moran Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 157 Lake Shore Road, Grosse Pointe MI 48236, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grosse Pointe Academy (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Paul Catholic School and Convent (approx. mile away); Russell A. Alger House "The Moorings" (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Grosse Pointe Memorial Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grosse Pointe High School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Grosse Pointe Farms Water Filtration Plant (approx. one mile away); This Bell House (approx. one mile away); Grosse Pointe Farms Sewage Pumping Station (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grosse Pointe Farms.
 
Also see . . .  History of St. Paul Parish. (Submitted on July 30, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Marker and Church image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 15, 2017
3. Marker and Church
Saint Paul Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 15, 2017
4. Saint Paul Catholic Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 30, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wanted: a picture of the rectory. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement