St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church
St. Augustine had no Protestant church when it became an American town in 1821. At first a united Protestant church was favored. Many denominations sent missionaries such as Presbyterian Eleazer Lathrop, who first arrived in 1821. By October, 1823, the few resident Presbyterians had decided to build their own church. Rev. Wm. McWhir arrived to organize the congregation. In 1824, the First Presbyterian Church was constituted and a cornerstone was laid for a structure. That church, which was located on St. George Street, housed Florida's first formally constituted Presbyterian congregation until 1890.
Erected 1974 by St. Johns County Historical Commission in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-223.)
Location. 29° 53.612′ N, 81° 19.006′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Valencia Street and Sevilla Street, on the right when traveling west on Valencia Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 Valencia Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson Cottage (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Markland (about 600 feet away); Spanish Dragoon Barracks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Villa Zorayda (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Villa Zorayda (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ponce de Leon Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Memorial Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on July 31, 2017.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on July 31, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 5. submitted on July 31, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?