Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church
When Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University) opened in 1925, the city grew to the west, bringing more people to this area. Father Gabriel Diamante and Dr. Bessie Lee organized a Newman Club for the college's Catholic students in 1934. The following year, Bishop Robert E. Lucey of the Diocese of Amarillo began plans to construct a second local church. The Diocese purchased this site and hired O.R. Walker and James E. Atcheson to design and build a Spanish mission-style church here. The Building's eclectic design shows Byzantine and Spanish Colonial influences, with elaborate stonework featuring stylistic elements and religious symbolism.
Dedicated on March 29, 1936, the church was named for St. Elizabeth to honor the mother of Papal Countess Katherine Price, who contributed greatly to the building project. Father Diamante became the first
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14893.)
Location. 33° 35.122′ N, 101° 51.99′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Avenue W, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lubbock TX 79401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mast/White Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mast House (about 400 feet away); Lubbock Women's Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bacon Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lubbock High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Texas Tech Judging Pavilion (approx. 0.6 miles away); Texas Tech Dairy Barn (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Methodist Church of Lubbock (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.