The Ford Block
This building stands on land originally part of the Bowser Farm property purchased from Daniel Hawkins in 1777. In 1894 local merchant George E. Ford acquired a five acre lot, on which he constructed this block as a department store in three sections: Tailoring, Dry Goods and Groceries. It was "all handsomely fitted up" and by 1902 was among the first buildings in Sackville to be lit by electricity. A room, "Ford"s Hall," on the second floor was the site of the crucial meeting which approved the incorporation of the Town of Sackville on 12 January, 1903. Owned by the Ford family until 1947, it has since been home to a number of businesses.
Erected 2001 by Renaissance Sackville and York and Main Holdings.
Location. 45° 53.853′ N, 64° 22.117′ W. Marker is in Sackville, New Brunswick, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Main Street (New Brunswick Route 106) just south of Bridge Street/York Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 96-102 Main Street, Sackville, New Brunswick E4L 4A7, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Henderson Block (within shouting distance
Also see . . .
1. The Ford Block at Tantramar Historic Sites. (Submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The George E. Ford Block Canadian Register of Historic Places Listing. (Submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.