Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Potomac in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Edgar Perry House

Built in 1902

 
 
The Edgar Perry House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 31, 2017
1. The Edgar Perry House Marker
Inscription. When Edgar was born on May 3, 1871, his father Thomas was a partner with Winfield Offutt in a mercantile operation at the intersection of River and Falls Road, then known as “Offutt's Crossroads.“ By the year 1880, when “Potomac Village” was established, the partnership had been dissolved and Thomas Perry began construction of a large brick store on the northwest corner of the crossroads. (Perry's original store remains standing.) Thomas died on November 8, 1884, before Edgar's 14th birthday. Edgar and his mother, Marion, continued operations at the store and by the turn of the century it was flourishing. Consequently, he decided to construct a home for his family which was more reflective of his property.

On October 12, 1900, Edgar purchased a 22 acre lot from Kate Stone, widow of Philip Stone, and proceeded to move her house up River Road to make room for his new home. Sand was hauled from Watts Branch, near Glen Mill, to the site by means of horse-drawn wagon. Each block was formed by hand out of a single mold and when a sufficient number were completed, the blocks were laid in place. The finished building is believed to have been standing by the end of 1902. A journalist viewing the house in 1919, noted that Edgar Perry's home was “one of the best and most substantial in that part of Montgomery
The Edgar Perry House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 31, 2017
2. The Edgar Perry House Marker
County.”

The two story house served as Edgar Perry's residence until it was sold to his brother Bernard in 1922. Bernard converted it to a store which was later operated by Samuel Hunter, and afterwards by Samuel's son Howard. More recently the building housed Homer Welch's “Potomac Food Center”, the “Happy Pickle” restaurant , and later “Maryland National Bank.” It is one of only two “crossroads” buildings that have survived the construction of modern shopping centers in the area and continues to be a reminder of the earlier days of Potomac.

A good example of 19th century concrete formstone architecture, the Edgar Perry House was designated a Historic Site on the Montgomery County Master Plan for Historic Preservation in 1979. It is also included in the Maryland Historic Site Inventory.

Information summarized from the survey and inventory prepared for the Maryland Historic Site Inventory in July of 1978.

Dedicated by:
W.C. & A.N. Miller Companies
1995

 
Erected 1995 by W.C. & A.N. Miller Companies.
 
Location. 39° 1.081′ N, 77° 12.557′ W. Marker is in Potomac, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from
The Edgar Perry House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 31, 2017
3. The Edgar Perry House
the intersection of River Road and Falls Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10200 River Road, Potomac MD 20854, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gold Mining in Maryland (approx. mile away); Potomac Cemetery and Church Grounds (approx. 0.6 miles away); Great Falls of the Potomac (approx. 1.9 miles away); American Indians of the Potomac River (approx. 2 miles away in Virginia); River Crossing at Conn's Ferry (approx. 2 miles away in Virginia); The Maryland Mine (approx. 2 miles away); Washington Aqueduct (approx. 2.4 miles away); A Lift Lock (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Potomac.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
The Edgar Perry House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 31, 2017
4. The Edgar Perry House
The Edgar Perry House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 31, 2017
5. The Edgar Perry House
W.C & A.N Miller
Realtors
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 3, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement