Naughton in Sudbury District, Ontario — Central Canada
Whiteﬁsh Lake Post
The Hudson's Bay Company had established a fur trading post on the western shore of Whitefish Lake by 1824. It was hoped that a depot adjacent to the portage route to Wakami Lake would help prevent independent traders in Michigan, Wisconsin and southern Ontario from encroaching on trade north of the French River. In this, the post was reasonably successful. In 1887 the Company dismantled the building and moved it here to Naughton (Walden) so that it would be closer to the Canadian Pacific Railway line to Sault Ste. Marie. With the development of lumbering and mining in the region, the fur trade declined in significance, and in 1896 the post was closed.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 46° 24.252′ N, 81° 10.922′ W. Marker is in Naughton, Ontario, in Sudbury District. Marker is on Old Highway 17 (County Highway 55) 0.2 kilometers east of Simon Lake Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Naughton, Ontario P0M 2M0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Salter's Meridian 1856 (here, next to this marker).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.