Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Carl and Hilda Biehl House
In 1915, Biehl purchased the damaged home and cleared the site to build a new structure for his family. Designed by noted architect Anton F. Korn, Jr., the home was completed in 1916 in a classical revival architectural style. The construction of the house consisted of brick and concrete to stand up to the hurricanes and strong winds common to Galveston. Kornís design featured a front veranda, original hardwood floors, oak paneling and moldings, and three fireplaces. The exterior was designed to be symmetrical and discreet, a change in aesthetics from Victorian design common before the turn of the century. Some unique features include a spacious attic that was used as a gymnasium for the children and a rare functioning cistern at the back of the house.
Carl passed away in 1936 and Hilda passed ten years later. The home remained in the Biehl
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17278.)
Location. 29° 18.171′ N, 94° 46.942′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Broadway Avenue J east of 15th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Next to and immediately west of the Bishop's Palace. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1416 Broadway Ave J, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bishop's Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rt. Rev. Monsignor Marius Etienne Chataignon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sacred Heart Church (about 300 feet away); Julius H. Ruhl Residence (about 300 feet away); George Fox House (about 700 feet away); Lasker Home for Children (about 700 feet away); Former Site of Heidenheimer's Castle (about 700 feet away); The Cottage (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2017, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2017, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?