Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Electric City
—Founded in 1827 —
Gen. Robert Anderson
A Revolutionary Hero
Erected 1938 by Hudson Berry Chapter, D.A.R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 34° 31.498′ N, 82° 38.511′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Greenville Street (State Highway 81) and Haley Road, on the right when traveling south on East Greenville Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the American Legion, W.A. Hudgens Post No. 14. Marker is in this post office area: Anderson SC 29621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War I and II Veterans (here, next to this marker); Korean War / Viet Nam Veterans (here, next to this marker); World War I Memorial (here, next to this marker); The J.E. Rouse Dormitory (approx. 0.7 miles away); The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center (approx. 0.7 miles away); Anderson College Infirmary (approx. ¾ mile away); Denmark Hall Temple B'Nai Isreal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Pratt Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); Vandiver Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Robert Anderson. Robert Anderson (1741 – 1813) was a brigadier general in the colonial militia and a surveyor. (Submitted on August 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Robert Anderson. If you are like me you often wonder why a place has a certain name. (Submitted on September 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. City of Anderson, South Carolina. Official website of the city of Anderson, South Carolina. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Anderson, South Carolina. Anderson is a city in and the county seat of Anderson County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on September 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Anderson, South Carolina (youtube). Anderson was named for General Robert Anderson, a Revolutionary War hero who was born in 1741 in August County, Va. (Submitted on September 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Sketch of General Robert Anderson
Feb 25, 1914
John Anderson and his wife Jean came from Ireland to Philadelphia, Penn. and thence removed to Stanton, Va., about 1735. There is mention of John Anderson and wife Jean together with William Pickens and wife and Isaac Pickens in Bolton's Scotch-Irish Pioneers, page 279. To John Anderson and his wife Jean were born among other children two sons, Robert Anderson and James Anderson who was Presbyterian Minister and was the first pastor in New York City.
Robert Anderson married Ann Thompson November 6, 1765, and shortly thereafter removed to South Carolina and settled to what was known afterwards as Pendleton District. He was an officer in the Revolutionary War and rose from Colonel to Brigadier General and is now known as General Robert Anderson. He especially distinguished himself for his brave and valiant service at the Battle of Eaton Springs and the Battle of Cowpens, fighting in the front line. Gen. McGrady, in his History of South Carolina, says: "The distinguishing feature of the Battle of Cowpens upon the American side, was undoubtedly the work of Pickens and his marksmen, who was mentioned here as Captain Anderson but later, after the revolutionary war was over, was made Brigadier General for his valiant
Now we see General Anderson with General Pickens march against the Cherokee Indians on the northern frontier of what is now known as Oconee County. They were commissioned to make a treaty of Peace with them, which was signed under and oak tree on the East side of the Seneca River. After the war was over he settled on his Cherokee lands, on the Seneca River which were given him for his part in the war and peaceful settlement with the Cherokee Indians. A County was named after him, also the County Seat. It is said this treaty was never broken. He built an imposing home, having a frontage of sixty feet. Here he brought up his family. His wife had a love of the beautiful, for in is said there was a profusion of lovely roses and other flowers surrounding the house, which fronted on an eighty acre tract of beautiful maples, which led down to the Seneca River. There were thoroughbred horses in the stables, in care of old Cato, the loved coachman, and the home always abounded in gracious hospitality.
General Anderson's Estate consisted of 2100 acres of which 460 acres were his bounty lands. General Anderson and his wife had five children: Elizabeth Anderson married Samuel Moverick. Mary Anderson married Captain Robert Maxwell. Jane Anderson married Mr. Shaw. Annie Anderson married Dr. Wm. Hunter. Robert Anderson II married Maria Thomas, daughter of General
This sketch would not be complete without giving the romance of General Anderson and Ann Thompson, copied from The Anderson S.C. Daily Mail. The Daily Mail send the following interesting reminiscence concerning Robert Anderson, the Revolutionary War Hero:
Col W.S. Pickens says that General Anderson came from Old Cambridge, where General Andrew
Grabbing a shawl, she ran down the stairs as swiftly as her feet could carry her, met her long absent lover half way down the avenue. A little talk followed and the General Anderson turned his horse, she mounted up behind him and the wedding was performed nearer the foot of the hills than it might have been has he stayed away a day longer.
Mention has already been made of the large colonial home he built two hundred yards west of the Seneca River. Here,
— Submitted January 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. General Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain
From the Anderson Downtown Historic District National Register nomination form: "This fountain was erected in 1906 as part of an overall beautification of the courthouse grounds, a project begun in 1905 by a women's group known as the Anderson Civil Association. Constructed of iron, the fountain was made by the Anderson Machine and Foundary Company. Sixteen feet in height, the topmost figure holds an urn from which water cascades into two basins and finally into a reflection pool."
— Submitted September 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,815 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on September 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on August 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on November 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.