Big Rapids in Mecosta County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Helen Gillespie Ferris (1853-1917) loved flowers as much as she was inspired by learning and cultivating lives. This garden was conceived on the 125th anniversary of the institution that she and her husband Woodbridge N. Ferris, founded to inspire educational opportunity. The garden honors the memory of Mrs. Ferris's achievements and her personal grace with a place that evokes her greatest private delights.
October 9, 2010
Location. 43° 41.567′ N, 85° 28.687′ W. Marker is in Big Rapids, Michigan, in Mecosta County. Marker can be reached from Oak Street west of Ives Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in a courtyard between the Prakken Building and the Alumni Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 Oak Street, Big Rapids MI 49307, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Old Main" (a few steps from this marker); Ferris Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Mecosta County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Andrew's Episcopal Church Historic Downtown (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Downtown (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Downtown (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Rapids.
Also see . . . Planting History: Students, faculty and community members help honor the memory of Helen Ferris. Information about the garden in the Torch, Ferris State University's student newspaper. (Submitted on August 8, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Education • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 129 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.