Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells

 
 
The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 19, 2017
1. The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells Marker
Inscription.
On May 3, 1996, the bells of Beaumont Tower rang again after having been silenced by wear and tear since 1987. Spartans everywhere rejoiced. In July 1995, the MSU Board of Trustees approved a renovation plan for the tower and carillon.

A gift from John W. and Alice B. Beaumont, the tower was dedicated in 1929 when MSU President Peter McPherson's grandfather, Melville, was on the Michigan State College governing board. John Beaumont, a Michigan State alumnus, was a professor at the Detroit College of Law in the late 1800's. John Donaldson was the architect and Lee Lawrie the sculptor of the original tower.

The restoration project included renovation of the carillon mechanism, replacement of 20 of the 47 bells to match the shape and tonal quality of the originals, the addition of 2 new bells, partial automation of the clock, the Westminster chimes, and the tower structure.

With this restoration, the bells of Beaumont again serve as a source of inspiration and unity to the MSU community for generations to come.
 
Location. 42° 43.919′ N, 84° 28.94′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker can be reached from West Circle Drive 0.2 miles east of Kalamazoo Street, on the left when traveling east.
The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 19, 2017
2. The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells Marker
View of Beaumont Tower from the north. Marker is on the right edge of Beaumont Tower, the bottom one of the two.
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 375 West Circle Drive, East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan State University ( here, next to this marker); Sleepy Hollow ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University ( about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Women's Building ( about 600 feet away); Botanical Laboratory ( about 700 feet away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" ( about 700 feet away); Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture ( about 700 feet away); Harry J. Eustace Hall ( about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
 
Also see . . .  Beaumont Tower. Wikipedia article (Submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Beaumont Tower image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 19, 2017
3. Beaumont Tower
View of Beaumont Tower from eastbound West Circle Drive.
Beaumont Tower image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 19, 2017
4. Beaumont Tower
Close-up of north side of Beaumont Tower. Inscription: Whatsoever a man soweth.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement