Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Alamo in Wheeler County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1807 Methodism at Spring Hill

 
 
1807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 17, 2014
1. 1807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker
Inscription. Spring Hill, settled in 1807, was a preaching place on the Ohoopee Circuit by 1814. In 1850 John Carmichael gave land for a campground. A tabernacle replaced the brush arbors about the church. Campmeetings continued seven decades. Clements Institute evolved from pre-Civil War schools and in 1871 became the first Methodist District High School. C. C. Hines and W. A. Huckabee led in founding South Georgia College at McRae in 1891. From 1879, J. D. Anthony, “Bishop of the Wiregrass”, made this his home. Here, Bascom Anthony entered the ministry. In 1991, the church worships in its 1879 frame building with a fellowship hall in the school.
 
Erected 1991 by South Georgia Conference United Methodist Church. (Marker Number 16.)
 
Location. 32° 0.75′ N, 82° 43.567′ W. Marker is near Alamo, Georgia, in Wheeler County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 197 and Spring Hill Loop, on the left when traveling west on County Route 197. Touch for map. The marker is located 1/10 mile west of the intersection of County Road 197 and County Road 108. Marker is in this post office area: Alamo GA 30411, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major General James E. Livingston
1807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 17, 2014
2. 1807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker
Looking East on County Road 197. Spring Hill Loop is behind the marker.
(approx. 6.4 miles away); Talmadge Home (approx. 7.1 miles away); Wheeler County (approx. 9.9 miles away); Telfair County (approx. 10.7 miles away); Marion Bayard Folsom (approx. 10.9 miles away); Telfair County Veterans Memorial (approx. 10.9 miles away); Jefferson Davis Memorial (approx. 12.7 miles away); Jeff Davis County Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
1807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 17, 2014
3. 1807 Methodism at Spring Hill Marker
Looking west on County Highway 197
Spring Hill United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 17, 2014
4. Spring Hill United Methodist Church
This building dates from 1879. It stands on Spring Hill Loop near the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 15, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement