Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904
Born in Carlisle, England, Baxter came to Canada as a child. He studied in Toronto and at the Sulpician College in Montreal before becoming, reputedly, the first English-speaking Jesuit novice in Canada. After his ordination in New York in 1854, he served at various missions in the United States and Canada and arrived in Fort William in 1872. He quickly became renowned for his selflessness and the legendary stamina he displayed on arduous trips along the Dawson Road and the C.P.R. line. He was responsible for the building of the original St. Andrew's Church (1874-75) and is credited with establishing churches at Fort William, White River and Schreiber. From 1881 until his retirement in 1893 he worked tirelessly as a railroad missionary.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 48° 26.233′ N, 89° 13.389′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay District. Marker is at the intersection of Red River Road and Algoma Street North, on the right when traveling west on Red River Road. Touch for map. Marker is against a wall at the back of the parking lot on the southeast side of St. Andrews church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 294 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 1A8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Connaught Square (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968 (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Sir William C. Van Horne (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda (approx. half a kilometer away); C.D. Howe (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Simon James Dawson (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Cummins Site (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Lakehead University (approx. 3.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Richard Baxter. (Submitted on August 15, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.