Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 28, 2017
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Organized by five Jacksonians in 1837. Under the leadership of Rev. L.D. Halsey, a church building was constructed herein 1845-46 on land purchased from the state. Utilized for Christian worship until 1951.
 
Erected 1973 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 32° 18.1′ N, 90° 10.802′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is on North State Street (U.S. 51) north of Yazzo Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson MS 39201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jackson Municipal Library Sit-In (a few steps from this marker); The Eagle and Bowman Hotels (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Galloway Memorial (about 800 feet away); Smith Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Monument to Women of the Confederacy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mississippi's Old Capitol (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carter Jewelers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 28, 2017
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement