Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Historic Salem Church

Salem Church of Christ

 

“Indian Bush”.

 
Historic Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 15, 2017
1. Historic Salem Church Marker
Inscription. Evangelical Circuit Riders visited this area in the 1830s bringing the Word of God to German speaking settlers. In 1845 a need was felt for a regular place of worship and a log meeting house was built near this location known as “Indian Bush”. In 1854 a Sunday School was organized which met there or in nearby homes. Prominent family names in the early church were Kuenall, Walter, Failor, Blaser, Paulin, and Knoble. The present church structure, completed in 1861, of simple barn frame construction, was used by the congregation then known as the Salem Evangelical Church. Through later mergers, the church became the Evangelical United Brethren and finally United Methodist Church. The bell and tower were added in 1906, and other improvements made over the years. In 2001, a structural failure caused the building to be closed and the small congregation then merged with the Union United Methodist Church located 2 ½ miles north. In 2002, three former members formed the Friends of Salem Church Foundation and repairs were completed by this foundation to make the building again suitable for use as a place of worship.
 
Erected 2004 by Trustees of the Friends of Salem Church Foundation and Friends.
 
Location. 40° 50.44′ N,
Historic Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 15, 2017
2. Historic Salem Church Marker
full view of marker, on west side of church, at cemetery
83° 11.552′ W. Marker is near Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is on Old Lincoln Hwy (U.S. 30), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located between Salem Cemetery and the Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4058 Old Lincoln Hwy, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lincoln Highway (approx. 4 miles away); Battle Island (approx. 4.2 miles away); Col. William Crawford (approx. 4.4 miles away); Wyandot Indian Council House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Wyandot Mission Church (approx. 4 miles away); John Stewart (approx. 4 miles away); Departure of the Wyandot Indians (approx. 4 miles away); Wyandott Indian Mission (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 
Historic Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 15, 2017
3. Historic Salem Church Marker
marker and church
Historic Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 15, 2017
4. Historic Salem Church Marker
detail of picture on marker
Historic Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 15, 2017
5. Historic Salem Church Marker
the bell
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 16, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement