Hemphill in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Timber harvesting and production has been the primary industry in heavily forested Sabine County since around 1880. At that time, logs were floated down the Sabine River to large saw mills in Orange County. The railroads also had a major economic impact beginning in 1903, when the Gulf, Beaumont & Great Northern Railroad Company began operation of a railway segment in Sabine County. The population steadily increased until the Great Depression, which had a long-lasting effect on the area. Sabine County was without banking services from 1933 until 1944. Many families moved from the county to search for jobs, leading to steep decline in population.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16358.)
Location. 31° 20.534′ N, 93° 50.957′ W. Marker is in Hemphill, Texas, in Sabine County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 184) and South Oak Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hemphill TX 75948, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sabine County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Hemphill (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Sabine County (within shouting distance of this marker); Sabine County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Pratt (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Hemphill (about 500 feet away); Hemphill Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Charles Krenek & Jules “Buzz” Mier, Jr. (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hemphill.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.