Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hemphill in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hemphill

 
 
Hemphill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
1. Hemphill Marker
Inscription. In 1858, Sabine County organized the community of Hemphill, named for Texas Supreme Court Justice John Hemphill (1803 – 1862). An election determined that the county seat would be moved from Milam to this new settlement in the center of Sabine County. Early Percy Beddoe surveyed and laid out the town site on an 80-acre tract owned by Richard Fendall Slaughter and his wife, Anna (Holman). A post office was established in Hemphill in 1859.

Builders constructed the first courthouse in Hemphill shortly after the community’s establishment; it was replaced in 1864 by another building, which burned down in 1875. Builders completed another courthouse in 1877, which was eventually replaced by the current structure in 1906. Other significant early institutions included Sabine Valley University, established in 1879, First National Bank, which opened in 1907 and closed during the Great Depression. Hemphill Common School District No. 1 organized in the late 1800s, and by 1890 listed three trustees, two teachers and eighty-eight students.

The population of Hemphill increased steadily between 1850 and 1930, due in great part to the presence of the Knox Sawmill in the western portion of town. Temple Lumber Company later bought the mill, which burned I n1937. Combined with post-World War II rural-to-urban migration trends and
Hemphill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
2. Hemphill Marker
Marker is on the right.
the lack of major thoroughfares in the town, the closing of the sawmill promoted a decline in the community’s population. Today, Hemphill remains the seat of the Sabine County government, and is home to several national, state, and local offices, remaining a community of vital importance in the state of Texas.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15412.)
 
Location. 31° 20.536′ N, 93° 50.97′ W. Marker is in Hemphill, Texas, in Sabine County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 184) and South Texas Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hemphill TX 75948, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sabine County (a few steps from this marker); Sabine County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Sabine County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Sabine County (within shouting distance of this marker); Pratt (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Hemphill
John Hemphill image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse
3. John Hemphill
(about 600 feet away); Hemphill Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Charles Krenek & Jules “Buzz” Mier, Jr. (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hemphill.
 
Also see . . .  Hemphill, Texas. (Submitted on August 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement