Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chazy in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chazy Central

 
 
Chazy Central Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ellen Adams, August 17, 2017
1. Chazy Central Marker
Inscription. This marker is to signify that Chazy School was the first central school in the state of New York and the U.S.A. Nov. 14, 1916.
 
Erected 1966 by Chazy Yorkers Club.
 
Location. 44° 53.215′ N, 73° 26.169′ W. Marker is in Chazy, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on New York State Route 9 south of Miner Farm Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609 Miner Farm Road, Chazy NY 12921, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Scott Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riverview Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1805 Log Home (approx. 2.4 miles away); Homestead Site of Jean LaFramboise (approx. 2.6 miles away); Sept. 11, 1814 (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sweet's Ferry (approx. 4 miles away in Vermont); Benedict Arnold (approx. 4.1 miles away); Samuel de Champlain Monument (approx. 4.4 miles away in Vermont). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chazy.
 
Regarding Chazy Central. Chazy Central Rural School opened in 1916 and was New York State's first consolidated rural school. The idea for the school originated with George R. Mott, minister of the Chazy Presbyterian
Chazy Central Rural School image. Click for full size.
By Ellen Adams, August 17, 2017
2. Chazy Central Rural School
Church, and was embraced by local philanthropist William H. Miner, who paid for the construction of a new school building. The five-story Spanish mission style structure was designed by architect Frederick B. Townsend.

Chazy Central Rural School provided students from first through twelfth grade with an education in the standard academic subjects, as well as industrial arts and manual training and courses in agricultural science. In addition, the school boasted many amenities, including two swimming pools and a 1000-seat auditorium with organ and film projector.

A new school building was erected in 1968-69, and the original 1916 structure was demolished at that time.
 
Categories. Education
 
1916 School Building With New Industrial Arts And Homemaking Wing At Left, 1950s image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1950s
3. 1916 School Building With New Industrial Arts And Homemaking Wing At Left, 1950s
From the collection of the Alice T. Miner Museum, Chazy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. This page has been viewed 81 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2017, by Ellen Adams of Plattsburgh, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement