Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
Organized Sept. 23, 1837 on land given by J. N. Whitner. First frame structure was built in 1839. Anderson's first cemetery is here, and city's first Sunday School was organized here about 1855. Present sanctuary's cornerstone was laid in 1879. Kirk was built in 1922 on the site of the first sanctuary. Education building and Gallant Chapel were built in 1968.
Erected 1968 by Board of Deacons and Session.
Location. 34° 30.179′ N, 82° 39.244′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on West Whitner Street (State Highway 24) west of Towers Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 W Whitner St., Anderson SC 29624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson Presbyterian Church Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In This Burial Ground (about 300 feet away); Thompson Centennial United ME Church -- 1867 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson: "The Electric City" William Church Whitner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Court House -- 1898 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Four Way Test (approx. ¼ mile away); Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. First Presbyterian Church, Anderson, SC. Official website of First Presbyterian Church, Anderson, SC. (Submitted on August 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. First Presbyterian Church Cemetery Index. The present-day, beautiful old church sits on the original three and three-fourths acre site deeded by Judge Joseph N. Whitner for the purpose of constructing a house of worship. (Submitted on June 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Joseph Newton Whitner (1799-1864)
Joseph Newton Whitner was a judge, one of the founders of Anderson, and one of the signers of South Carolina's Secession Ordinance.
Whitner was born on April 13, 1799 near Pendleton Village of Joseph and Elizabeth
In his younger years, however, Whitner sometimes had been on the other side of the law. One day while at school in Union village, Joseph Whitner was visited by the deputy sheriff of the district on some relatively minor matter. Apparently unknown to the officer, young Joseph Whitner carried a pistol to school. The deputy intended to arrest him, and the future solicitor pulled his firearm out, jokingly telling the officer that he would not go willingly. When the deputy jumped off of his horse in rage, Whitner came very close to shooting the peace officer.
Whitner continued his education, however, and after graduating from South Carolina College in 1818, he learned the law by reading it. Elected a law judge of 1850, he left his excitable temper outside the courtroom. On the bench his demeanor made him a lawyer's dream com true: the judge was conscientious,
A supporter of slavery, Whitner believed that slavery humanizes the character of the master only when it comes up to biblical standards. He owned close to sixty slaves. Many took the name Whitner upon their emancipation. (Source: The Most Boisterous Passions: Southern Responses to Thomas Jefferson’s Critique of Slavery by Eugene D. Genovese.)
— Submitted June 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,049 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 20, 2008, by Ronald Miller of Gray Court, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 26, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9. submitted on June 15, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.