Pentwater in Oceana County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Pentwater Methodist Church
1875 Pentwater's first church built in 1866 was destroyed by fire. Parishoners from that Methodist church planned to rebuild.
The new church was designed by Grand Rapids architects Robins and Barnaby at a cost of $3,500.
Basement finished, covered and a divine service is held there.
1879 The building is finished.
1887 Church bells are installed in the new steeple built by T. Mero and P. Labonta.
1954 Lightning strikes the steeple but the bells are fine and the steeple is covered.
1974 New addition on the south side is completed.
1980 A new tower is installed.
2002 Stained glass windows are installed in the bell tower.
2005 Lightning strikes the bell tower but it is promptly repaired.
A new addition on the north side is completed and the church entrance is redone.
NOTE: The entrance stairway faced west until 1924 when it was turned south because Hancock Street was widened in 1927 to become U.S. 31.
Erected by Pentwater Historical Society.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 82 North Hancock Street, Pentwater MI 49449, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cosmic Candy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pet Hollywood (about 400 feet away); Gustafson's (about 400 feet away); White Elephant (about 600 feet away); Lites Drug Store (about 700 feet away); Ships and Shipping (approx. ¼ mile away); The Lumber Industry (approx. ¼ mile away); Graveyard of Ships / Veterans' Day Storm (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pentwater.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.