Saint Landry Parish Mural
1) Sweet potatoes introduced and promoted throughout the area by John Sibille, brought prosperity and made Sunset the largest shipping point for yams in the world during the 1940's and 1950's. In the 1940's, Sunset became known as the "Sweet Potato Capital of the World" having more potatoes shipped from there than any other place in the country. There were 56 shippers, each with their own labels.
2) The Opelousas-Northwestern was the first railroad to be constructed in the Parish. The roadbed was laid in Opelousas about 1850, but the train was never operated. However, Morgans Louisiana and Texas Railroad went into Opelousas in 1882. They were followed by the Opelousas Gulf and Northeastern, which later became part of the Texas and Pacific which ran through Opelousas to Crowley in 1907. In 1909, the New Orleans, Texas and Mexico Railroads extended its route through Opelousas to Texas points.
3) Following the fall of New Orleans, Governor Thomas O. Moore moved the state capitol from Baton Rouge to Opelousas. He set up the state capitol in the home of his friend, Alexander Mouton, on the corner of Grolee and Liberty Street. It was built in 1848. During the Civil War the Louisiana Legislature convened in December of 1862 and January 1863 in Opelousas.
4) Jim Bowie's family owned property south of Opelousas, described
5) Situated on 20 secluded acres, Chretien Point Plantation was built in 1831 on the banks of Bayou Bourbeaux by Hypolite Chretien and his wife Felicite. The 12 room brick mansion was the centerpiece of a sprawling cotton plantation.
On October 15, 1863, a civil was battle was fought on the Plantation grounds. The Northern Union forces occupied the lower floor of the Chretien mansion and set up camp on the front lawn. Still today, a bullet hole remains in one of the front doors.
The interior staircase was copied for Scarlet O'Hara's beloved Plantation home, Tara, in Hollywood's immortal epic "Gone With The Wind."
6) In the Colonial Period of old St. Landry Parish, 1796-1812, Martin Donatto was the richest man in the parish
7) The Atchafalaya River and swamp serves as the eastern boundary of St. Landry Parish. The small towns of Palmetto, Melville and Krotz Springs historically derive their beginnings relying on the
Artist Anthony (Tony) Wimberly who resides in Church Point, Louisiana, has provided the talent and creativity for this mural. Mr. Wimberly freehanded all of the art work in the mural.
Erected by State of Louisiana Atchafalaya Basin Program, St. Landry Economic Industrial Development District and City of Opelousas.
Location. 30° 31.962′ N, 92° 4.952′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker is on East St. Landry Street (U.S. 190) west of South Court Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 132 East St. Landry Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seven Brothers Oak (a few steps from this marker); Opelousas (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker Opelousas (about 500 feet away); Humble Cottage Lodge No. 19 (about 500 feet away); Emar Andrepont Store (approx. half a mile away); Louisiana Orphan Train Museum (approx. half a mile away); Union Pacific Freight Depot (approx. half a mile away); Mary Jane Steam Engine Train (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
More about this marker. Mural is on the west wall of the St. Landry Bank and Trust Building
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 29, 2017.