Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nevils in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad

>>>>--->

 
 
Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 20, 2014
1. Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad Marker
Inscription. This is the site of the Nevils railroad station. The paved road from Denmark to Nevils is the original bed of The Shearwood Railroad that existed from 1912 until 1937. John N. Shearhouse of Brooklet and George Brinson of Stillmore owned Shearwood Lumber Company in Brooklet. They began by opening the line from Clyo to Claxton. Farmers in the Nevils area promised to pay a large sum of money to run the line through the Sinkhole District. The railroad acquired right-of-way from Jake Nevils, the first merchant in the area.

Farmers depended on the Nevils Station for shipping carloads of watermelons and receiving tons of fertilizer. Here many residents began excursions to Savannah and Tybee, after buying picnic supplies at Mr. Nevilsí nearby store. The SR established a morning passenger-freight train leaving Egypt and serving Leefield, Brooklet, Denmark, Nevils, Claxton, and Hagan. Mr. Shearhouse was killed and his son seriously injured in a railroad accident in 1926. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the railroad declined and dissolved. The tracks and equipment were removed and sold for scrap. Although the depot served as a country store after 1945, it was eventually deserted.
 
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation
Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 20, 2014
2. Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad Marker
Nevils Groveland Road is in the background
.
 
Location. 32° 15.917′ N, 81° 45.633′ W. Marker is in Nevils, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is at the intersection of Nevils Groveland Road (County Route 584) and Nevils Denmark Road (County Route 557), on the right when traveling north on Nevils Groveland Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pembroke GA 31321, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harville House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Upper Black Creek Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Croatan Indian Community (approx. 6.9 miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 8.2 miles away); Daisy United Methodist Church (approx. 9 miles away); Brooklet, Georgia (approx. 9.8 miles away); John Abbot (1751-1839) (approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 20, 2014
3. Nevils Station & Shearwood Railroad Marker
This is looking northeast. The Nevils Denmark Road, the original roadbed of the Shearwood Railroad, is on the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement