Eaton in Preble County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Van Ausdal-Donohoe House
This mid-19th-century structure, built in the Federal style with Italianate detail added later, was once owned by town pioneer and merchant Cornelius Van Ausdal. It was later the home of his daughter Lucinda, her husband Joseph Donohoe, and their four children. Presidential candidate William Henry Harrison reportedly stayed here while he was in Eaton to deliver a campaign speech on September 8, 1840. Lucinda Donohoe reputedly also hosted circuit-riding preachers here and owned the area's first piano. From 1938 to 1966, this building housed Mrs. Wagner's Colonial Kitchen, a nationally recognized restaurant.
Erected 2014 by The Gade Family New Paris Kiwanis Somerville National Bank Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 9-68.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 44.645′ N, 84° 38.121′ W. Marker is in Eaton, Ohio, in Preble County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 35), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 E. Main St., Eaton OH 45320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bruce (about 300 feet Preble County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Roberts Bridge / Timber Covered Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Roberts Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mound Hill Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Monument at Mound Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Birthplace of Swine Improvement in America (approx. ¾ mile away); Ortt's Preble County Civil War Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eaton.
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.