Portal in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Willow Hill School and Community
In 1920 the Bulloch County Board of Education purchased the school for $18 dollars. In 1954 the county built the sixth and current building to house the school (.5 miles SW). Children attended an integrated facility beginning in 1970. When closed in 1999, Willow Hill had been a school for 125 years – the County’s oldest. In 2005, descendants of the founders bought the school building for $113,000 and the Willow Hill Heritage and Renaissance Center seeks to preserve the legacy of those former slaves who built a community and nourished the school.
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portal GA 30450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Willow Hill Elementary School for Negroes (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Portal (approx. 3 miles away); Banks Dairy Farm (approx. 3˝ miles away); Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Skirmish at Statesboro (approx. 6.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Statesboro (approx. 7.7 miles away); Bulloch County (approx. 7.8 miles away); Bulloch County Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portal.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.