Oxford in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Alpha Delta Phi
Older Marker on the South Porch
In October 1833 was organized at Old Miami a chapter of Alpha Delta Phi- the first Greek letter fraternity to expand west of the Alleghenies. With this event Miami became the fourth college in the United States to recognize fraternities. From about 1840 to the closing of Old Miami, the chapter occupied quarters in this building, then known as the Mansion House.
The chapter’s roll included these names which became engraved in Miami history.
Robert Hamilton Bishop • Orange Nash Stoddard • Charles Elliott • David Swing • Lazarus Noble Bonham
Location. 39° 30.573′ N, 84° 44.373′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of East Walnut Street and South Campus Ave, on the left when traveling east on East Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 East Walnut, Oxford OH 45056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mother of Fraternities (a few steps from this marker); William Holmes McGuffey (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oxford Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey House Oxford Female Institute / Caroline Scott Harrison 1832-1892 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Verlin L. Pulley Tower (approx. half a mile away); Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth (approx. half a mile away); Freedom Summer 1964 (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.