Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oceola Township in Livingston County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. John The Baptist Catholic Church

 
 
St. John The Baptist Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 26, 2017
1. St. John The Baptist Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. Irish immigrants founded a Catholic mission in Livingston County in 1843. The following year, two acres of land were purchased here and a log structure was erected for worship services. As the congregation grew it required a larger facility, and a frame structure was built onto the log church in later years. In 1868 the log portion was removed and the west end of the present corbeled brick building was erected. The cornerstone was consecrated at that time. In 1873 the frame segment was detached, moved across the road and used for services during construction of the present Gothic Revival structure. The church became a parish in 1974. Originally known as St. James, the St. John the Baptist congregation is the oldest Catholic congregation in Livingston County.
 
Erected 1982 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L538.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 37.854′ N, 83° 47.841′ W. Marker is in Oceola Township, Michigan, in Livingston County. Marker is at the intersection of North Hacker Road and East Highland Road (State Highway 59), on the right when traveling south on North Hacker Road. Touch for map
St. John The Baptist Catholic Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 26, 2017
2. St. John The Baptist Catholic Church and Marker
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1991 North Hacker Road, Howell MI 48855, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Livingston County Press (approx. 6.8 miles away); County Courthouse (approx. 6.8 miles away); Ann Arbor Railroad (approx. 6.9 miles away); Brighton Village Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Alvira Gilluly (approx. 6.9 miles away); Bessie the Holstein (approx. 7 miles away); Opera House (approx. 7 miles away); Duke the Hereford (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of St. John Catholic Church. (Submitted on August 31, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. John The Baptist Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 26, 2017
3. St. John The Baptist Catholic Church
Part of the new church, on the north side of State Highway 59, can be seen in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement