Statesboro in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Statesboro High School
The first local school to serve black Americans - Statesboro High and Industrial School - opened its doors in 1907 on Cotton Avenue and Blitch Street (M. L. King, Jr. Drive). In 1954 a new William James High School replaced the original school. In 1971 Bulloch County’s schools were officially integrated, and all local high school students could attend a newer and larger Statesboro High built in 1964 by the Bulloch County Board of Education. This building is located behind the facility opened in 2009 on Lester Road.
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
Location. 32° 26.6′ N, 81° 45.7′ W. Marker is in Statesboro, Georgia Touch for map. The marker stands near the north entrance to the school's parking lot on Lester Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Lester Road, Statesboro GA 30458, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eastside Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Savannah & Statesboro Railway (approx. 0.9 miles away); Willie McTell Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Fabulous Fifty of 1906 / The Delegates (approx. 1.2 miles away); United States vs. Darby Lumber Company (approx. 1.2 miles away); Statesboro Confederate Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bulloch County Courthouse (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Statesboro.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.