Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cornplanter in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

McClintock-Steele-Waitz House

(a.k.a. Coal Oil Johnny's House)

 
 
McClintock-Steele-Waitz House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 24, 2017
1. McClintock-Steele-Waitz House Marker
Inscription.
McClintock-Steele-Waitz House
(a.k.a. Coal Oil Johnny's House)


This timber frame home was constructed in the early 1850's by Culbertson and Sarah "Sally" McClintock along the west bank of Oil Creek approximately 0.7 mile downstream from this site. In 2001, the building was disassembled and rebuilt here to preserve it as an example of pre-oilboom post-and-beam construction. It is a reminder of where petroleum's prodigital prince grew up, where his young wife dwelt during his philandering days, and which he lost in bankruptcy despite inhereting his family's pil royalties, generated from wells such as the still-producing McClintock No. 1 located in Rouseville.

This project was financed by the Pa. Heritage Parks Program within the Pa. Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Bureau of Recreation and Conservation; the Pa. Historical and Museum Commission's Keystone Historic Preservation Program; the Oil Heritage Region, Inc.; the Township of Cornplanter; and generous local donors.
 
Location. 41° 28.962′ N, 79° 41.573′ W. Marker is in Cornplanter, Pennsylvania, in Venango County. Marker is on Old Bankson Road 0.2 miles north of William Flinn Highway (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map
McClintock-Steele-Waitz House & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 24, 2017
2. McClintock-Steele-Waitz House & Marker
. Marker & House are adjacent to the Rynd Farm Station of the Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad, offering passenger excursions. Marker is at or near this postal address: 167 Old Bankson Road, Oil City PA 16301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry R. Rouse (1823-1861) (approx. one mile away); Oldest Producing Oil Well (approx. 1.6 miles away); Humboldt Refinery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Col. Francis "Gabby" Gabreski (approx. 3 miles away); Charles Lockhart (approx. 3.4 miles away); In Memory of Cornplanter (approx. 3 miles away); Patrick C. Boyle (approx. 3 miles away); Cornplanter (approx. 3 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
McClintock-Steele-Waitz House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, August 24, 2017
3. McClintock-Steele-Waitz House Marker
Rynd Farm Station in background - Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.
Paid Advertisement