Bunker Hill / Dog Town
The Millville, Reilly and Milton Turnpike brought prosperity to the village now renamed Bunker Hill. School House No. 10 stood nearby from 1849-1857. By 1860 clothing manufacturing was the major business here. A Post Office was established in 1852. A Universalist church was dedicated in 1855. During the Civil War, the Peace Democrats, called Copperheads, were active in this area. Ohio Congressman Clarence Vallandingham, future Peace Democrat leader, campaigned here in 1860 and a traditional Democratic Party pole raising was held here in 1863. Coopers, cobblers, blacksmiths, wagon shops, saddlers, a sorghum mill, a huckster (traveling sales- man), a photographer, a clothes pin factory, a band, a music teacher, and a baseball team were here during the 19th century. The Post Office closed in 1906. By 1912, the church had closed.
Thomas Burk Sr purchased a quarter section of federal land here in 1804. A school house was erected on this purchase in 1809. That same year, a road was built on Indian Creek west of this marker. Obadiah Welliver opened a tavern on his purchase in 1812. Burk sold his grist mill in 1818 and it is thought that the hamlet around this mill was called Dogtown because of a vicious dogfight there. In 1825, Reily Post Office was established at Welliver’s
Erected 2013 by LCNB National Bank Wm. E. Smith Charitable Trust Reilly Township Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number OHS 31- 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 25.081′ N, 84° 43.496′ W. Marker is near Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Reily Millville Rd (County Route 29), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5113 Reily Millville Rd, Hamilton OH 45013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bunker Hill Universalist Church/Bunker Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bethel Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); Bethel Chapel 1815- 1873 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stillwell Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Stillwell’s Corners 1858 Morgan Township House / Copperheadism in Butler County (approx. 5.3 miles away); Birthplace of William Bebb (approx. 5.4 miles away); Founding Members of the Morgan Township Fire Department (approx. 5˝ miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.