Frisco in Summit County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
This property once served as Frisco’s Post Office, General Store, and Gas Station. The main building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, originally consisted of a one-room, wood-plank cabin, still standing today attached to the larger white main house. Later additions were built with materials from a local abandoned mine.
Louis Wildhack, a local miner and engineer who built this property, served as postmaster from 1914 to 1935. The property was later sold to Guy Cannam in 1935, who assumed the role of postmaster until 1941; he added four small cabins to the property. In 1946 Robert and Helen Foote purchased the property. Robert worked as a finish guide and served as postmaster from 1947 to 1965.
The historic Foote’s Rest landmark still remains in the Foote Family today.
Built by Louis Wildhack
Erected by Town of Frisco, Colorado.
Location. 39° 34.564′ N, 106° 5.759′ W. Marker is in Frisco, Colorado, in Summit County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Fifth Avenue, on the left when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted at eye-level on front side of subject building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 East Main Street, Frisco CO 80443, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Summit County Courthouse (approx. 7 miles away); The Wedding House (approx. 7 miles away); The Exchange (approx. 7.1 miles away); William Harrison Briggle House (approx. 7.1 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Riverwalk - Blue River Restoration (approx. 7.1 miles away); The Hearthstone (approx. 7.1 miles away); Barney L. Ford (approx. 7.1 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is in excellent condition
Also see . . .
1. Foote's Rest History.
Originally the 1870s-era assay office for Frisco – the place where miners went to have their gold and silver weighed and assessed – the property was later known as Wildhacks Grocery Store-Post Office. Kelly’s grandparents took it over in 1941 and dubbed it “Foote’s Rest,” and it remained for years the place where Friscoites went for mail and milk, news and other sundries while also being a place to rent a cabin for the night or the week. (Submitted on September 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Frisco in talks to move historic Staley House and sell land to Foote’s rest.
My grandparents bought the Foote's Rest property 70 years ago," he said in a statement. "The preservation of our family legacy and Town character is of the utmost importance to us. We have worked hard with town (Submitted on September 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6, 7. submitted on September 18, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 8. submitted on September 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.