Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Opelousas in Saint Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Emar Andrepont Store

circa 1880

 
 
Emar Andrepont Store Marker image. Click for full size.
August 26, 2017
1. Emar Andrepont Store Marker
Inscription.
Built in the 1880s by Emar Andrepont, this building is typical of an old "general" country store. Originally built in the rural St. Landry Parish community of Prairie Ronde, the store operated for nearly 100 years. It was first owned by Emar, and then later by his son-in-law, Evrand Brown, who married Emar's daughter, Rose.

Like most general stores of the late 19th century, the Andrepont store was the original "one-stop" shop. Farmers and townspeople bought everyday items like hardware, bulk foods and clothing from the local store.

Many small town general stores also housed the town's post office, and this store was no exception. For a while, it too served as post office.

To maximize the storage and display of multiple items, storeowners like Andrepont used every open space for storage. Shelves were built into walls instead of windows. Storeowners purchased items such as coffee, flour, sugar, spices, kerosene, and others in bulk quantities, and measured out the desired amount into jugs and bags for customers.

Emae Andrepont, the son of Martin Andrepont and Hermina Charles Pitre, was born on April 21, 1863 in Prairie Ronde, He married Alice Dupre and the couple had seven children.

When Emar Andrepont died in 1941, the store was then run by Emar's daughter, Rose, and her husband Evrand Brown. They would operate the old store

Emar Andrepont Store and Marker image. Click for full size.
August 26, 2017
2. Emar Andrepont Store and Marker
up until the time of their deaths in the 1980s. Rose and Evrand did not have any children.

The estate was willed to the children of a sister, Alice Andrepont Ledoux and her husband Dewey Ledoux. The children donated the store, along with the three-seater outhouse, to the city. It was moved to the village in 1992. The move was funded by the Opelousas Tourism and Activities Committee.
 
Erected by City Of Opelousas Louisiana.
 
Location. 30° 31.904′ N, 92° 4.484′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker can be reached from East Landry Street (U.S. 190) east of South Academy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 828 East Landry Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Pacific Freight Depot (a few steps from this marker); Louisiana Orphan Train Museum (a few steps from this marker); La Chapelle House (a few steps from this marker); Sugar Kettle, c. 1800 (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Jane Steam Engine Train (within shouting distance of this marker); Venus House (within shouting distance of this marker); Whiteville School House (within shouting distance of this marker); Doctor's Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
 
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2017.
Paid Advertisement