Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Merritt Island in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clifton Colored School

1890-1891

 
 
Clifton Colored School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, September 4, 2017
1. Clifton Colored School Marker
Inscription. Before the Clifton Schoolhouse was built, Butler Campbell and Andrew Jackson’s children were home schooled by a black teacher, Mr. Mahaffey. The teacher was paid five dollars for each student, after examination by the County School Superintendent. Any locality claiming a school had to provide a public school house, select at least one trustee, and secure a certified teacher. In 1890-91, Campbell and Jackson decided to build a proper school. A neighbor, Wade Holmes provided a one-acre lot on the northwest corner of his property. The three men built a 12’ x 16’ heart pine structure that sat on coquina cornerstones about one foot off the ground. The west-facing front was fitted with a double-paneled door. Two sets of glass-paned windows were on the north and south sides. The roof was made of cedar or cypress boards. Campbell’s children included Florida, Eugenia, Agnes, Henry and Willie, who was Valedictorian in 1892. Jackson’s children were Annie, Mary, Floyd and Douglas, who was Valedictorian in 1893. Studies included reading, physiology, English, math and Latin. By 1910, the children were out of school or attending school elsewhere. In 1924, Eugenia returned to Clifton and later lived in the structure. When NASA bought properties on North Merritt Island in the 1960s, the families relocated to other areas and most of the houses were moved
Clifton Colored School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, September 4, 2017
2. Clifton Colored School Marker
or demolished.
 
Erected 2005 by The Brevard County Historical Commission, the Brevard County Tourist Development Council, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-557.)
 
Location. 28° 45.031′ N, 80° 46.161′ W. Marker is in Merritt Island, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is on Courtenay Parkway North (State Road 3), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is very hard to find. It is on a piece of land with a lot of weeds in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. It is 2.8 miles north of the Haulover Canal on the east side of State Road 3. It can be seen from the road, but the speed limit is 55 miles per hour in this section of State Road 3 and you have to really look closely. It is just pass a radar station, so slow down after you pass the station. Marker is in this post office area: Mims FL 32754, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Haulover Canal (approx. 1.3 miles away); Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims (approx. 7.4 miles away); Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Memorial Homesite (approx. 8 miles away); Oliver's Camp (approx.
Clifton Colored Schoolhouse - ca 1890 image. Click for full size.
3. Clifton Colored Schoolhouse - ca 1890
8.1 miles away); LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); LaGrange Community Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away); LaGrange Community Church (approx. 8.7 miles away); Site of the First Church (approx. 8.7 miles away).
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement