Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Opelousas in Saint Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Whiteville School House

circa 1911

 
 
Whiteville School House Marker image. Click for full size.
August 26, 2017
1. Whiteville School House Marker
Inscription.
This building is typical of a two-room country schoolhouse. It was built at a time when horse drawn carriages transported children to school. The school's original location was the northern St. Landry Parish community of Whiteville.

Generally, each room served three grades. During the winter, the wood burning stove provided warmth. Sometimes the parents supplied the wood and the fire in the wood was started before the children arrived for class. For the most part, lunch was eaten outside, picnic style, under a shade tree.

Back then, teachers were required to live in the community where they taught school. One of those teachers was Ms. Jeanette Doucet, the last teacher for this little schoolhouse. When she began her teaching in the fall of 1927, there was no free paper, pencils, or books for students. A teacher's salary was $85 a month. Women were allowed to teach as long as they were single.

The Whiteville Schoolhouse is an example of Greek Revival architecture, which first erupted in the 1820s along the Eastern Seaboard and was still present in rural Louisiana domestic architecture through the turn of the 20th century. This schoolhouse is one of the few of its kind remaining in Louisiana. It was donated by Cleveland McCauly of Whiteville and moved to Le Vieux Village in 1991, with the assistance of the Kiwanis Club of Opelousas.

Whiteville School House and Marker image. Click for full size.
August 26, 2017
2. Whiteville School House and Marker

 
Erected by City of Opelousas Louisiana.
 
Location. 30° 31.872′ N, 92° 4.478′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker can be reached from East Landry Street (U.S. 190) east of South Academy Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 828 East Landry Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Jane Steam Engine Train (a few steps from this marker); St. Joseph Methodist Church for Colored People (a few steps from this marker); The Macland Plantation Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Jarrell Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Opelousas Colored School (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisiana Orphan Train Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Pacific Freight Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); La Chapelle House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
 
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
 
Categories. ArchitectureEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2017.
Paid Advertisement