Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Statesboro in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First District Agricultural and Mechanical School

 
 
First District Agricultural and Mechanical School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
1. First District Agricultural and Mechanical School Marker
Inscription. Georgia Southern University was founded as First District A&M in 1906. Bulloch County won a bidding war with Tattnall and Emanuel counties offering cash, 300 acres of land, and utilities worth $125,500. Often referred to locally as the “College or the Culture,” FDA&M was a boarding high school. The three buildings located at the top of the circle, an administration/classroom building flanked by a girls’ and a boys’ dormitory, constituted the original campus. On the first day of classes, February 5, 1908, there were 34 boys and 8 girls enrolled. Typically, half the day was spent in core subject classes and half was devoted to practical learning in the fields, shop, orchard and labs of the farm. By the 1920s, the region had established more high schools and FDA&M was converted into a teachers college named Georgia Normal School (1924-29), South Georgia Teachers College (1929-39) and Georgia Teachers College (1939-1959). It expanded its curriculum as Georgia Southern College in 1959 and as a University in 1990. Having survived skeptics, Depression, and politics the University reached out to the world, but remains grounded in its community origins.
 
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
 
Location.
First District Agricultural and Mechanical School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
2. First District Agricultural and Mechanical School Marker
32° 25.567′ N, 81° 46.967′ W. Marker is in Statesboro, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is on Southern Drive, also known as Sweetheart Circle 0.3 miles east of Forest Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker located on the Georgia Southern University Campus, across Southern Drive from the Marvin Pittman Administration Building. Southern Drive/Sweetheart Circle is one way counter-clockwise. Marker is in this post office area: Statesboro GA 30460, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marvin Summers Pittman (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Turpentining Experiment (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); W. Jones Lane Memorial Highway (approx. 0.3 miles away); United States vs. Darby Lumber Company (approx. 0.8 miles away); Savannah & Statesboro Railway (approx. 0.9 miles away); Statesboro Confederate Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bulloch County Courthouse (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Statesboro.
 
Categories. Education
 
First District Agricultural and Mechanical School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 10, 2014
3. First District Agricultural and Mechanical School Marker
The Marvin Pittman Administration Building is in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement