Place de la Croix
In 1823 the first Church of St. Mary of False River was built, and at that time a cross was erected on the banks of False River. It stood on this spot for many years as a sign to all of the life won for us by Christ.
The cross which stands here today was erected in 1983, 160 years later, in thanksgiving for our Lord's redemption of mankind and in gratitude for all the blessings we have received as a Christian community.
In the Nineteenth Century this area was known as La Place de la Croix (The Square or the Place of the Cross). May our Lord's Cross and Resurrection always find it's place in our homes and lives.
Location. 30° 41.565′ N, 91° 26.141′ W. Marker is in New Roads, Louisiana, in Pointe Coupee Parish. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 1) near Saint Mary Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 347 West Main Street, New Roads LA 70760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lejeune, Lejern and How to Say It (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Archer LeJeune (approx. 0.2 miles away); Randall Oak (approx. 2.8 miles away); William Bartram Trail
More about this marker. Located in the St. Marys Kiwanis Park across West Main Street from the St. Mary of False River Catholic Church.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2017.