Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Garcia-Dummett House

Second Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1791, enlarged 1888

 
 
Garcia-Dummett House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
1. Garcia-Dummett House Marker
Inscription. The house was built as a residence for Gaspar Garcia and Spanish characteristics are still evident including how the building relates to the street edge and the coquina stone building material protected under a stucco finish. Later, a third floor with mansard roof was added thus characterizing the building as Second Empire Style.The building was converted into a boarding house after the death of Colonel Henry Thomas Dummett by daughters Anna and Sara. With the growth of St. Augustine in the 1800s many buildings acquired similar decorative detailing such as turned posts and porch brackets on the balconies.
 
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
 
Location. 29° 53.272′ N, 81° 18.677′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Saint George Street and Saint Francis Street, on the left when traveling south on Saint George Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 279 St. George St., Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fernandez-Llambias House (within shouting distance of this marker); Llambias House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tovar House
Garcia-Dummett House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
2. Garcia-Dummett House Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (about 400 feet away); St. Francis Barracks (about 400 feet away); The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida (about 400 feet away); 56 Park Place (about 500 feet away); Elk's Rest (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Garcia-Dummett House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jay Kravetz, June 6, 2017
3. Garcia-Dummett House Marker
Anna Maria Dummett was born in Barbados, the Bahamas in 1819 to English parents. She came to Florida with them about 1830 where they occupied a sugar plantation near present day Titusville. As the Seminole Wars accelerated, the family moved to St. Augustine. In 1845, she inherited the Garcia-Dummett House (now the St. Francis Inn) and operated it as a boarding house. During the Civil War, she cared for the children of her brother-in-law General Hardee, volunteered as a nurse and may have been a Confederate spy. In 1866 she returned to St. Augustine and helped found the ladies Memorial Association, serving as president until her death in 1899. She helped establish a Confederate memorial on the Plaza. When the United Daughters of the Confederacy formed a chapter in St. Augustine, the women named it after Anna Dummett. Her Great Floridian plaque is located at the Garcia-Dummett House/St. Francis Inn, 279 St. George Street, St. Augustine.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2017, by Jay Kravetz of West Palm Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement