Baker City in Baker County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Telephone Exchange
Baker City Historic District
—Established 1874 —
The first exchange was in the Wisdom Drug Store at the southwest corner of Main Street and Valley Avenue.
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph (later to become Pacific Northwest Bell) acquired the system in 1900. In 1910, the company built this building for its exchange and offices.
The telephone company moved in 1954, and the building remained vacant for many years. It was renovated as a restaurant in the 1970s.
Erected by Historic Baker City, Inc.
Location. 44° 46.604′ N, 117° 49.849′ W. Marker is in Baker City, Oregon, in Baker County. Marker is on 1st Street near Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1926 1st Street, Baker City OR 97814, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rogers Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Antlers Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller Apartment Building (within The Smoke Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Gerstle-Solomon Building (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Miller's Lunch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Shoemaker Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baker City.
Categories. • Communications • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.